We put on our running gear and headed to MOA bay side. We are maximizing all the opportunities that the kids could train before the 36th Milo Marathon where both of them will be running (non-competitive) under the 5K category.
As we look at the horizon, the dark clouds seems to be warning us that the sun doesn’t have the plan of showing itself. And that we will have a frequent visitor called “drizzle”. This didn’t stop us and off we go braving the sunless weather.
I don’t know with other runners/joggers, but I am more motivated to run under the grey sky with a little drizzle or rain, or even under a bit of heavy rain fall.
As I was traversing my favorite running path. I'm silently analyzing the reasons why I love to run under the rain. Hmn okay… let me share them to you!
- Basically it’s not hot and there’s little chance that I will feel thirsty. Minimal liquid intake also means less chance to urinate, which also means lesser interruptions and longer running time for me.
- I don’t tire easily when I don’t sweat much compared to when I’m running under the sun/heat. Too much sweating makes me feel tired.
- The rain can make most people to feel “down” (including me sometimes). Running under the rain empowers me to shake off that “down” feeling. It’s like I’m challenging the rain and telling it “c’mon! you can not bring me down”.
- It makes a regular run more challenging. It drives me to run longer because it takes more effort and longer distance before I sweat out during the rain. Sweating out the excess cholesterol is the most common reason why we are exercising.
- And lastly, it gives me the joyful carefree feeling that you can only find in the heart of a child. It sends you back to childhood. That unique happy feeling that you’re dancing under the rain! And for me that’s priceless!